Did you know you can make your own flavored tortillas? Not only is it insanely easy, but the flavor possibilities are endless. Today we’re making spinach, sun dried tomato, and roasted garlic flour tortillas! Homemade wraps and sandwich have never been so tasty.
Since moving to the Netherlands, one of the things I miss the very most about living in San Antonio is the Mexican food.
I mean, there’s an itty bitty “international” section in our grocery store that squishes together the Indian/Chinese/Mexican/American (the American is primarily hotdogs and marshmallows). But I need Mexican food. Big, soft tortillas to stuff with beans and cheese and goodies.
And because no such tortillas exist within a hefty radius of me, we’re just gonna make them!
We’ve made homemade tortillas before, but today we’re taking it a step further and making flavored tortillas.
Ingredients for flavored tortillas
You can make virtually any flavor tortilla with this formula, but today I’m sharing my three favorite: spinach, roasted garlic, and sun dried tomato! You’ll need:
- Flour: Use all-purpose flour for these pillowy flavored tortillas.
- Baking Powder: A dash of baking powder helps to create that perfectly tender texture.
- Salt: Salt is vital for tenderizing and flavoring the dough.
- Butter: We’ll use butter here to keep these tortillas vegetarian (traditional tortillas use lard).
- Flavor Add-Ins: You’ll need the equivalent of 1 cup of liquid, so blend your favorite ingredients with a bit of water until you reach 1 cup! It’s that simple.
How to make tortillas
The process of making your own tortillas is super simple and goes something like this (full instructions at the end of this post):
- Base: Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt, then cut in the butter.
- Flavor: Blend your flavor add-in with water to reach one cup.
- Combine: Combine the flour mixture with the flavor, kneading for 5 minutes until smooth.
- Rest: Let the dough rest for 15 minutes (up to 1 hour). Letting the dough rest gives the liquid time to absorb into the flour, creating softer tortillas.
- Roll: Cut dough into 16 pieces and form into balls. Cover with plastic and rest for another 15 minutes. Working in batches, roll the dough out into tortillas then cook (keep the unrolled dough balls under the plastic to keep them from drying out).
- Cook: In a heavy-bottomed pan (like a cast iron) for a few minutes, until bubbles have formed and the tortillas is brown in spots. Flip to cook the other side, then wrap in a towel to keep warm while you finish cooking the rest.
How to make spinach tortillas
To make spinach tortillas, just blend a handful of fresh spinach with warm water. This will be the liquid you mix into your flour. Feel free to flavor it up with a pinch of onion or garlic powder!
How to make sun dried tomato tortillas
Simply blend together sun dried tomatoes with warm water! You can also add a pinch of your favorite flavors, like dried basil, oregano, or chili powder.
Serve these flavored tortillas with our Mexican-inspired recipes